Thursday, August 27, 2009

Some like it hot.

The other day I was making a fabulous pasta sauce to put on our ravioli. I opened the cupboard to grab the appropriate spices when something caught my eye - my cayenne pepper!!! It was completely INFESTED with flour beetles. I stood there for several minutes, examining the intricate tunnels leading up from the burrows filled with wiggly little white larvae. I could even see a few in the pupal stage. The surface of the cayenne was littered with empty exoskeletons, the sides of the glass streaked with beetle poo. Adults crawled to and fro amongst the debris, up to the lid (stupid flip top would never stay closed). Some had even relocated to the neighboring chili powder (this lid also refuses to stay closed). I wonder why they chose such spicy homes... The lid to the cinnamon won't stay closed either and there were no beetles in there... Hmmm... I stood pondering this until Becky demanded I throw it out because she was completely disgusted. As she probably should be. I am a nerd. But I'll have you know that flour beetles do not carry disease nor do they really do any harm! The End.

I don't have an appropriate photo for this...for once! So, here's a ladybug:
Ladybug On a Window

1 Comments:

Blogger liz dexic - dotted with hearts said...

tell chit she just needs to deal with the beetles :)

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home