Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Someone Else's Shoes

I am a thrift store whore. Most of you know this about me. I believe in recycling, that one person's junk is another's treasure. I also believe in buying second-hand as a way of being less of a mass consumer, avoiding industry that employs sweatshops, takes advantage of people, etc. Also, I am cheap.

But sometimes, you get what you pay for...

Over the weekend Andrew and I were browsing one of the Goodwills in Frederick. I was wandering around the shoe section when I suddenly found myself in front of a badass pair of Chucks. I freaking loooooove me some Chuck Taylors. I have several pairs already, in the hopes of one day being the proud owner of a rainbow-like display of Chucks in various colors and patterns. These were nice and worn in, pink with red hearts all over them. Awesomely girly. I checked the size: one size too big, but I tried them on, they felt fine. I already have one pair that's too big and they really aren't that bad. Plus I have midget feet anyway, so a size larger actually looks normal on me. I snagged them and walked up to Andrew with a cheesy grin and held them up, beaming over my find. Four bucks later, they were mine.

So, this morning I decide it's time to bust them out. I'm all excited. I put my left foot in and laced it up. Awesome. I put my right foot in and...what the crap?! It feels all huge and weird. I look at the bottoms. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT SIZES!!!!! What the hell?! Who buys shoes in two different sizes?! I was SO bitter. But you know what? They are awesome and I'm not giving up on them. Yes, I wore them anyway. I'm that freaking ghetto. So I'm currently wearing one shoe that is a size too big and one that's TWO sizes too big. Beat that.

DSC_0009Edit

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you never fail to amaze me.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not ghetto. Far from it. It is a virtue, like what you say your first paragraph.

May more of us live a simple life of second hand stores and cool shoes that are really two different sizes.

It is the vice of consumerism that makes us get stuff that was made in sweat shops and forces us to only wear shoes that are the same size.

Millions of kids have no shoes. More people should be like you and be as joyful to have such shoes.

11:38 PM  
Blogger MicahGirl said...

I don't go to thrift stores often enough...I am inspired to go back to trawling the aisles.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home