Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving

I went through the motions - the house was cleaned, I spent the day cooking and for some reason felt compelled to glance at the Macy's parade on TV periodically. This is what people do on Thanksgiving, right?? I don't know, my vegan menu was already boasting a "fuck you" to tradition, what do I care?

I smiled when I saw my sister's face at the door. Then there were my parents. They came without hugs. We fussed over the animals and over getting the rest of the food heated and set out.

We stared and chewed. We talked about the food. My sister and I exchanged retarded faces. Let's be honest, she's the only thing fun about family time. Recently, I've come to realize that I have no idea who my parents are. I don't know what they do, I don't know what they like. I have a theory that neither of them really like anything at all. I guess when I was younger, I thought all this was normal. If one of them died today, I would have no idea what to say about them at their funeral. "Mom went to church a lot...she really liked reading books...And she liked the color purple..." It bothered me for a while...but it really didn't motivate me to "talk" to them or spend more time with them. I think I've realized...I really don't care. I'm serious. Maybe I'm a terrible person, but I prefer to blame them. You get what you give, ya know?

So, we stuffed our faces and sat around making more lame conversation, just waiting for the moment when we'd have room for pie. Pie. Coffee.

They left without hugs.

Thanksgiving is silly. But I do like cooking and eating lots.

Happy FAT Furry Friday!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Don't you just love our parents? Mindless rambling, comments on dumb things and touching being a foreign concept...yep, that's them.

I'm still stuck between knowing I should care and knowing I really don't at all.

But thank you for yummy food and a nice break from being here in the boring, emotionally vacant home atmosphere they've created. It was nice to see you. :)

I think I'll move close to you and we can have our own super awesome family.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Jocie said...

Anytime! I love cooking. =) I like your super awesome family idea. Let's do it!

3:32 PM  
Blogger tjolson81 said...

did you have tofurkey?

families are strange. i'm not sure i understand them, i'm not sure they're supposed to make sense.

happy tofurkey day though.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jocie said...

No tofurkey! I'm actually not a huge fan...plus they are like $20. I made delicious vegetable pot pies instead. And kale with carmelized onions. And mashed sweet potaters. And salad. Good times.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I found you wandering through the flickr interestingness thing and followed through your photo of those awesome chucks and got here. :). Hope you don't mind having a little lurker wandering around XP.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Piff Tannen said...

if you got any questions, ask em before theyre gone. its not too late to figure out who they are or who they were yo. maybe they just need a n affectionate kick in the ass?

3:05 PM  
Blogger jt said...

aww, I guess I've never counted my blessings at having such fun loving parents. I've kind of taken them for granted.

But they always say that there is the family that you're given and then there is the family you choose.

So just make sure you surround yourself with people you love. The family you are given can come and enjoy the fun if they want to.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home